In 2020, the University Executive and Council approved the Strategic Equality Plan 2020-2024. Our evidence base told us that we were under-represented particularly in the areas of gender equality of our senior academics, and ethnicity across our student and staff body.
We signed up to a Higher Education Funding Council of Wales (HEFCW) funded enhancement programme to progress race equality within higher education: Race access and Success Collaborative Project. This Wales-wide programme was designed to help Welsh universities with improving race equality. Through a series of workshops, action planning sets and consultation, we have been supported to progress at a pace and place right for our institutional needs. The final stage of the project was to develop and implement a Race Action Plan. We have worked on drafting this Race Action Plan with Black Asian Minority Ethnic staff and students, and a consultant for Advance HE. The Race Action Plan has been approved. We will now start to work on launching this race action plan in 2022.
Zero Racism Cymru
Aberystwyth University commits to promoting a zero tolerance to racism throughout the University, this means that:
- We will take a stand against racism and promote a more inclusive and equal society for all.
- We will not tolerate racial prejudice, discrimination, harassment, victimisation, abuse, or violence against any individual.
- We will stand in solidarity, come together, and say no to racism, in all its forms.
- We will promote good race relations between people from diverse ethnic backgrounds in Prifysgol Aberystwyth University.
- We will promote equal and fair opportunities for people from diverse ethnic backgrounds to attain promotion.
- We will eliminate unlawful race discrimination, harassment, victimisation and abuse.