Information Services (I.S) are committed to providing equal access to our spaces, resources, and services for all users.
Accessing our spaces
- AccessAble guides to spaces are available
- Hugh Owen Library
Use of the Accessible Entrance on level E of the Hugh Owen Library and the Accessible lift at the far end of Iris de Freitas can be organised by contacting the Accessibility Service
- Physical Sciences Library
- Centrally Timetabled Teaching Rooms – browse to find information for specific rooms and choose the Accessibility tab
- Our libraries offer a range of quiet and silent study spaces. individual and group study rooms. Individual and groups study rooms can be booked via https://gsr.aber.ac.uk. When booking a group study room if you require an adjustable desk and/or automatic door, please tick the Accessible room required option.
- Automatic height adjustable desks are available:
- Adjustable lighting is available in the group study rooms in the Hugh Owen Library. Desk lamps are available to borrow from the enquiry desk in each library.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types. Deaf Alerters which work with the library’s radio-based fire alarm system are available from the library enquiry desks.
It is essential that the Hugh Owen Library lift should not be used when the fire alarm is sounding.
Please contact Student Support Services and Health, Safety and Environment Office to arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for the Library if relevant.
Accessing our resources
- E-resources - You may find one or more of these features available when reading an ebook or online journal article:
- coloured backgrounds
- adjustment of font size and font face
- letter, word, or line spacing
- audio screen-reading
For assistance with accessing and using e-resources please contact your subject librarian
- The Click and Collect service enables users to request items from the Physical Sciences and Hugh Owen Libraries be made available to them on Level D of the Hugh Owen Library. These are placed in our Library Collection Lockers for users to collect. If you require a locker at an accessible height, please make a note in the Comment field when placing your request.
- The Postal Loan service enables users not based in Aberystwyth to request items be posted to their home address.
- Coloured overlays and magnifiers can be borrowed from the Enquiry Desk for use within each library
- OCR Scanning is available on all printer/copiers on campus.
- A range of equipment is available for loan from the Hugh Owen Library Enquiry Desk
- A range of software is available on the computers in the libraries and computer rooms.
- Aberystwyth University has a CLA Higher Education Licence, which allows us to make or seek (from copyright holders) accessible copies for both visually impaired and other disabled users if a suitable accessible version is not available to purchase.
Accessing our services
- Hearing assistance systems are provided at all service points and in many Centrally Timetabled Teaching Rooms. To check for the type of system in a particular teaching room, browse to find information for that room and choose the Accessibility tab.
- A Freedom Book Scanner and a Pro Magnifier are available for use in Carrel 01
- One-to-One clinics are available to help users with problems using the facilities we provide, for example electronic resources, Blackboard, Microsoft Office or other software.
We welcome your feedback on how accessible you find our services. Please use our feedback form.