Fees & Scholarships
Find out more about our tuition fees, awards, scholarships and living costs below.
Tuition Fees 2023
You can get more information on tuition fees for international students applying for undergraduate or postgraduate programmes here.
International Accommodation Award
We are delighted to provide international fee-paying students with our International Accommodation Award, giving students the option of their university accommodation with a £2,000 discount or entirely free of charge. Terms and conditions apply.
This housing scholarship is applicable for the duration of the taught element of your studies if you are studying a Bachelors degree, Masters degree or a Foundation course. In some cases PhD students may also be eligible.
We have plenty of availability, however, a room on campus is not guaranteed, and is allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Students must apply for accommodation by the stated deadlines to be eligible for a room.
The University has several different accommodation buildings. The housing scholarship is different depending on which building you choose. Places in Cwrt Mawr are free of charge for international students, whilst, all other on-campus options include a £2,000 discount.
All on-campus rooms are single occupancy, meaning you will need to find alternative private accommodation in town if you plan to live in Aberystwyth with family members or other dependants.
All on-campus rooms are inclusive of utility bills and Wi-Fi, with residents also benefitting from free of charge Platinum gym membership at the University’s Sports Centre.
The International Accommodation Award is only applicable if you choose to live in University-managed accommodation.
The following table is for the 2022/23 academic year:
|Residence||Weeks||Usual Annual Cost||Discounted Annual Cost|
|Cwrt Mawr (Price Band 1)||39||£3,840||FREE|
|Cwrt Mawr (Price Band 2)||39||£3,437||FREE|
|Cwrt Mawr (PG)||50||£4,653||FREE|
|Pentre Jane Morgan||39||£4,247||£2,247|
|Rosser G (En-Suite) Postgraduate||50||£6,843||£4,843|
|Fferm Penglais (En-Suite)||40||£5,999||£3,999|
|Fferm Penglais (Studio)||40||£6,595||£4,595|
How to Apply
For Bachelors and Masters students: Once you receive a conditional or unconditional offer for your place of study at Aberystwyth University, you will be asked to supply any outstanding documents and to pay a deposit (if applicable) to secure your place.
Once you have accepted your offer (either through UCAS or by returning your offer-reply form) and paid your deposit (if applicable), you will be given access to the Accommodation Portal. If you are asked to complete a Pre-CAS interview and/or submit any financial documentation, you will also need to do this and wait for us to approve them before you can access to the Accommodation Portal.
The Accommodation Portal will open in April for our September-start programmes and November for our January-start programmes.
To be eligible for the International Accommodation Award, the deadline to apply for your accommodation on campus is the 1st August for Bachelors (UG) students or the 1st September for Masters (PG) students. The deadline for accommodation for our January start programmes is the 1st January.
You will be able to see the room types available to you, as well as the cost of each, and can either state your preference of accommodation building or even chose the specific room you would like to live in. Please review our accommodation options in advance so you have a clear idea of each building.
There are limited rooms across campus, and rooms will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis in accordance with our priorities policy. You should note, therefore, that whilst the International Accommodation Award is available, it is not guaranteed if there are no available rooms.
Some PhD students may be eligible for the International Accommodation Award. See below for Terms and Conditions. If you are eligible, you should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your financial circumstances and requesting access to the Accommodation Portal.
For Bachelors students and eligible PhD students, you will need to reapply for accommodation each year to secure your room. Please take note of the deadlines to apply (which will be emailed to you) and complete the application as soon as possible to secure your first choice. Again, whilst we will make every effort to accommodate all returning international students, space is limited and rooms are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you initially move into Cwrt Mawr, but later decide to move to a different university-managed building, then the £2,000 discount will be applied to the cost of the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate, minus any time lived in Cwrt Mawr). Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
The number of weeks in your accommodation occupation contract is important, so always make sure you check it covers the duration of your study.
Bachelor’s students (UG): your accommodation will be available to you for 39 or 40 weeks. This means you will need to find alternative housing if you choose to stay in Aberystwyth over the summer months before term starts again in September. This could be in town in private accommodation, or on-campus if there is space available – the accommodation office will be able to help advise. There will be a cost for summer accommodation.
Master’s students (PG): your accommodation will ordinarily be available to you for 50 weeks. If you wish to stay longer in Aberystwyth you will need to find, and pay for, alternative accommodation. This could be in town in private accommodation, or on-campus if there is space available.
PhD students (PG): if you are eligible for the International Accommodation Award, the license pack will be for 50 weeks. This means there will be two weeks in September where you will need to find alternative accommodation before the next term starts.
Terms and Conditions
- The International Accommodation Award is only available for students paying international tuition fees.
- Whilst we will make every effort to accommodate all international students, room allocation is on a first-come, first-served basis and rooms on campus are not guaranteed.
- Bachelors students will be able to live in their allocated room for 39 or 40 weeks per year. If staying in Aberystwyth between academic years, alternative accommodation on campus, or in private accommodation elsewhere, is necessary over the summer months between June and September when the next term begins.
- Masters students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks. If they wish to stay in Aberystwyth for longer, they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- Eligible PhD students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks per year. There will be two weeks in September where they must find alternative private accommodation.
- In order to choose and secure a room through the Accommodation Portal, students must have accepted their offer of study, paid their tuition dee deposit (if applicable) and if asked to do so, completed their pre-CAS interview and financial documentation checks. Students must familiarise themselves with the University’s deposit policy before making a payment. This deposit makes up part of the tuition fees.
- In the unlikely case that a student with a conditional offer to study at the University does not ultimately meet the conditions stated in their offer letter or does not meet the conditions to acquire a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for their visa, the deposit will be refunded in full. However, concessions cannot be made for fluctuations in the exchange rate. Students should therefore feel confident that Aberystwyth is their preferred choice for study and that they will achieve the academic grades required and be able to provide the correct documentation and English language ability to secure a visa before they pay their deposit.
- Deposits will not be refunded if the student meets all the University’s conditions, but changes their mind about studying at Aberystwyth University.
- If students are not required to pay a tuition fee deposit to the University (because they will be funded by an external organisation), they will still be able to access the Accommodation Portal.
- There is no housing on campus for students with dependants (family members). All rooms on campus are single occupancy only. Therefore, students planning to travel with dependants will need to find private accommodation in Aberystwyth town and will not be eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Find out more about private accommodation available.
- PhD students will only be eligible for the International Accommodation Award if they meet all the conditions below:
- The student is self-funding at least 50% of their tuition fees. I.e. they are not in receipt of another scholarship covering more than 50% of their tuition fees.
- The student will be paying for their own living costs. I.e. they are not receiving any stipend for their living expenses.
- The student is not bringing any family or dependants with them.
- If a postgraduate PhD student meets all the conditions above, they must email email@example.com with their name, applicant ID number, and confirmation that they meet the conditions above. The accommodation team will check that the student is eligible and, if so, will give them access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students whose degree programmes last more than one year must reapply for accommodation on an annual basis. Again, the first-come first-served policy will apply. Returning international students will still be eligible for the International Accommodation Award, but there is no guarantee that they will remain in the same room or building.
- No discounts can be provided for accommodation that is not managed by the University.
- All normal regulations concerning accommodation licenses and application deadlines apply.
- Students on International English Centre (IEC) Pre-sessional and International Foundation courses are entitled to free Cwrt Mawr accommodation on a first come first serve basis.
- Students on exchange programmes who do not pay tuition fees do not have access to the International Accommodation Award (discounted or free accommodation), but can access on-campus accommodation in the same way as home tuition fee paying students.
- Students on study abroad programmes paying international tuition fees are eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Places are allocated on a first-come first-served basis. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who choose to take up the International Accommodation Award but then decide to move into private accommodation elsewhere must notify the accommodation office and return their key. At this point they will no longer have access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students who initially move into one accommodation building, but later decide to move to a different University-managed building, will have free accommodation or £2,000 discount applied to the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate).
- Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
- Please note that there are many international students who choose to live in Cwrt Mawr. Students who choose this accommodation building, will likely be living with other international students from a mixture of countries all over the globe.
*Students must meet the terms and conditions to be eligible for the offer.
Global Wales Scholarship
We are delighted to offer 3 x Global Wales Scholarships for September 2023. The scholarship is worth £10,000 and is eligible to an applicant studying a Postgraduate Masters course at Aberystwyth University.
The scholarship is available to students from the European Union, India, North America and Vietnam and payment will be via a tuition fee discount.
This prestigious scholarship is funded through a partnership between the Welsh Government, Universities Wales, The British Council, and the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales.
Please see the Study in Wales website for full details of this exciting scheme and to complete the online Application Form. The deadline for submitting an application for the scholarship is by 23:59 (PST) on the 31st May 2023 for September 2023 entry. . You must have already applied to an Aberystwyth University Master's degree to be eligible for the scholarship. You must complete the application form in one sitting but you can view the questions you will need to answer here so that you can plan your responses in advance.
- The Global Wales Scholarship can be held alongside any other awards you may be eligible to receive, including the international accommodation scholarship;
- Successful applicants will hold an undergraduate Bachelors degree with a minimum standard equivalent to a UK 2:1 Honours classification;
- Applicants must satisfy the University’s English Language requirements and meet the terms of their offer in full;
- The scholarship is for students following a full-time PG Masters programme and the £10,000 will be deducted from the relevant tuition fee. Applicants will be responsible for funding the remainder of the tuition fee and living costs;
- Award of this scholarship is also subject to the Eligibility Criteria as published on the Global Wales Scholarship website. It is important that you read these fully before submitting your application;
- Although priority consideration will be given to applicants who have not undertaken previous postgraduate study, applicants who already hold a postgraduate qualification will be considered for a scholarship. It is up to the applicant to ensure that they satisfy the UKRI’s visa requirements regarding continued study in the UK.
Below are general examples of the kinds of costs incurred by a student staying at Aberystwyth. Remember, these will vary according to the lifestyle of the individual student. Costs are calculated over the academic year which is usually around 39 weeks.
Please also bear in mind that these are average costs. The residential costs at Aberystwyth are much lower than in other parts of the UK. Travel costs within the town are low and general living costs are much cheaper.
|Expenditure||Cost per Week||Cost per Annum|
Food, Laundry & Toiletries
|Bills (Energy, Internet)||Included||Included|
Phone & SIM
Books, Equipment & Stationery
|Aber Sport Residential Package||Included||Included|
There is a wide range of self-catering private sector accommodation available, where in most cases energy costs will be added to the rent. The Accommodation Office advises a maximum target of £80 per week exclusive of energy for the average single study bedroom with shared communal facilities such as kitchens and bathrooms. Please allow for 40 weeks at the average rental plus, to cover the summer vacation, 12 weeks at 50% of the average weekly rentals:
|Expenditure||Cost per Week||Cost per Annum|
|Food, Laundry & Toiletries||£45||£1,800|
Bills (Energy, Internet)
|£15 - £25||£600 - £1,000|
(Depends on the value of your items)
|£90 - £180|
Phone & SIM
Books, Equipment & Stationery
|Aber Sport 125 Deal (non-residential student)||£70 / £125|