Marketing & Tourism
Marketing is a dynamic and vibrant career choice full of innovation, creativity and data-driven intuitive decision making. Most early-stage marketing professionals migrate towards the digital arena and, at Aberystwyth, we make sure we equip you with the fundamental digital and traditional skills necessary to provide value to organisations from your first professional day.
Tourism is one of the world's fastest growing and most exciting industries globally. From tourist attractions and destinations to activity providers and tour operators, tourism is more than just going on holiday. Our tourism degrees aim to equip you with the academic and professional skills to undertake a variety of managerial roles in the sector.
Why study Marketing & Tourism at Aberystwyth University?
- Aberystwyth University is an accredited Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)Graduate Gateway Centre, which means that you can study towards a professional CIM qualification while studying for a degree, or gain exemptions for certain CIM modules in the future.
- You will be taught by industry practitioners and experienced academics, who are aware of the precise and high demands for technical and market proficient graduates that our marketing degrees provide.
- You will also be taught by active researchers, ensuring that you are exposed to the latest theories and knowledge in this subject area.
- Our degrees are accredited, which means they meet the needs of the tourism industry.
- You will be taught by lecturers who are active researchers and expert practitioners in their chosen subject area.
- You will also receive expert advice from visiting speakers who are prominent in the industry and bring their professional experience to the classroom.
- As a tourist destination itself, Aberystwyth and Wales more generally offer an invaluable opportunity to study seaside and rural tourism first-hand and within the wider national and international context.
- We provide field trips to UK tourism destinations so that you can learn about tourism in practice.
Early career opportunities for Marketing graduates are heavily focused in the digital domain. Digital Marketers innovate and shape business in a variety of ways and as a career choice the marketing profession remains diverse and financially rewarding. Recent graduates have gained employment in Acorn Digital (Shanghai), TravelPerk (Barcelona), Next, The Drum (London), McGregor Boyall (Manchester), Reckitt Benckiser, EE and Aegis Network (London).
Many of our graduates have explored a career as:
- Marketing Executive
- Market Researcher
- Advertising Copywriter
- Advertising Account Planner
- Media Planner
- Media Buyer
- Public Relations Officer.
Our Tourism graduates have been successful in seeking employment in the following areas:
- Marketing Executive
- Travel Agency Manager
- Tourist Information Centre Manager
- Tour Manager
- Tourism officer
- Event Organisation
- Hotel Manager
- Customer Service Sector
- Outdoor Pursuits Manager.
Refinitiv Workspace is embedded in a number of core modules across the Business School. It provides company account information, news and analytics and simulates the trading environment.
Training is also provided on Sage accounting software and the use of Excel.