Whether as an undergraduate or postgraduate, all international students are eligible* for our International Accommodation Award.
We are delighted to provide new international students* with the International Accommodation Award, giving you the option of your on-campus housing either entirely free of charge or discounted by £2,000. This housing scholarship is applicable for the duration of the taught element of your studies if you are studying a Bachelors degree, Masters degree or a Foundation course. In some cases PhD students may also be eligible.
The University has several different accommodation buildings. The housing scholarship is different depending on which building you choose. Places in Cwrt Mawr, the free accommodation building, are limited and allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, so be sure to pay your deposit as soon as possible and apply for housing. All other options include the £2,000 discount.
All on-campus rooms are single occupancy, meaning you will need to find alternative private accommodation in town if you plan to live in Aberystwyth with family members or dependants.
All on-campus rooms are inclusive of utility bills and Wi-Fi, with residents also benefitting from free of charge Platinum gym membership at the University’s Sports Centre.
The International Accommodation Award is only applicable if you choose to live in University-managed accommodation.
The following table is for the 2022/23 academic year:
|Residence||Weeks||Usual Annual Cost||Discounted Annual Cost|
|Cwrt Mawr (Price Band 1)||39||£3,840||FREE|
|Cwrt Mawr (Price Band 2)||39||£3,437||FREE|
|Cwrt Mawr (PG)||50||£4,653||FREE|
|Pentre Jane Morgan||39||£4,247||£2,247|
|Rosser G (En-Suite) Postgraduate||50||£6,843||£4,843|
|Fferm Penglais (En-Suite)||40||£5,999||£3,999|
|Fferm Penglais (Studio)||40||£6,595||£4,595|
The Inclusive Accommodation Offer is only applicable if you choose to live in university-managed accommodation.
How to Apply
For Bachelors and Masters students: Once you receive a conditional or unconditional offer for your place of study at Aberystwyth University, you will be asked to supply any outstanding documents and to pay a deposit (if applicable) to secure your place.
Once you have accepted your offer (either through UCAS or by returning your offer-reply form) and paid your deposit, you will be given access to the Accommodation Portal, which opens in April for our September-start programmes and November for our January-start programmes.
You will be able to see the room types available to you, as well as the cost of each, and can choose the specific building and room you would like to live in. Please review our accommodation options in advance so you have a clear idea of each building.
There are limited rooms in Cwrt Mawr, the building with free accommodation and rooms will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis in accordance with our priorities policy. You should note, therefore, that the free accommodation option is available, but not guaranteed.
Some PhD students may be eligible for the International Accommodation Award. See below for Terms and Conditions. If you are eligible, you should send an email to email@example.com stating your financial circumstances and requesting access to the Accommodation Portal.
For Bachelors students and eligible PhD students, you will need to reapply for accommodation each year to secure your room. Please take note of the deadlines to apply (which will be emailed to you) and complete the application as soon as possible to secure your first choice.
If you initially move into Cwrt Mawr, but later decide to move to a different university-managed building, then the £2,000 discount will be applied to the cost of the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate, minus any time lived in Cwrt Mawr). Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
The number of weeks in your accommodation License Pack is important, so always make sure you check it is for the duration while you study.
Bachelor’s students (UG): your accommodation will be available to you for 39 or 40 weeks. This means you will need to find alternative housing over the summer months before term starts again in September. This could be in town in private accommodation, or on-campus if there is space available – the accommodation office will be able to help advise.
Master’s students (PG): your accommodation will ordinarily be available to you for 50 weeks. If you wish to stay longer in Aberystwyth you will need to find alternative accommodation. This could be in town in private accommodation, or on-campus if there is space available.
PhD students (PG): if you are eligible for this housing scholarship, the license pack will be for 50 weeks. This means there will be two weeks in September where you will need to find alternative accommodation before the next term starts.
Terms and Conditions
- The International Accommodation Award is only available for students paying international tuition fees.
- Undergraduate Bachelors students will be able to live in their allocated room for 39 or 40 weeks per year. If staying in Aberystwyth between academic years, alternative accommodation on campus, or in private accommodation elsewhere, is necessary over the summer months between June and September when the next term begins.
- Postgraduate Masters students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks. If they wish to stay in Aberystwyth for longer, they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- Eligible Postgraduate PhD students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks per year. There will be two weeks in September where they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- In order to choose and secure a room through the Accommodation Portal, students must have accepted their offer of study and must pay their tuition fee deposit to confirm they wish to study at the University. Students must familiarise themselves with the University’s deposit policy before making a payment. This deposit makes up part of the tuition fees.
- In the unlikely case that a student with a conditional offer to study at the University does not ultimately meet the conditions stated in their offer letter or does not meet the conditions to acquire a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for their visa, the deposit will be refunded in full. However, concessions cannot be made for fluctuations in the exchange rate. Students should therefore feel confident that Aberystwyth is their preferred choice for study and that they will achieve the academic grades required and be able to provide the correct documentation and English language ability to secure a visa before they pay their deposit.
- Deposits will not be refunded if the student meets all the University’s conditions, but changes their mind about studying at Aberystwyth University.
- If students are not required to pay a tuition fee deposit to the University (because they will be funded by an external organisation), they will still be able to access the Accommodation Portal.
- There is no housing on campus for students with dependants (family members). All rooms on campus are single occupancy only. Therefore, students planning to travel with dependants will need to find private accommodation in Aberystwyth town and will not be eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Find out more about private accommodation available.
- Postgraduate PhD students will only be eligible for the International Accommodation Award if they meet all the conditions below:
- The student is self-funding at least 50% of their tuition fees. I.e. they are not receipt of another scholarship covering more than 50% of their tuition fees.
- The student will be paying for their own living costs. I.e. they are not receiving any stipend for their living expenses.
- The student is not bringing any family or dependants with them.
- If a postgraduate PhD student meets all the conditions above, they must email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, applicant ID number, and confirmation that they meet the conditions above. The accommodation team will check that the student is eligible and, if so, will give them access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students whose degree programmes last more than one year must reapply for accommodation on an annual basis. Again, the first-come first-served policy will apply. Returning international students will still be eligible for the International Accommodation Award, but there is no guarantee that they will remain in the same room or building.
- No discounts can be provided for accommodation that is not managed by the University.
- All normal regulations concerning accommodation licenses and application deadlines apply.
- Students on International English Centre (IEC) Pre-sessional, International Foundation and Pre-Masters courses are entitled to free Cwrt Mawr accommodation.
- Students on exchange programmes who do not pay tuition fees do not have access to the International Accommodation Award discounted or free accommodation, but can access on-campus accommodation in the same way as home tuition fee paying students.
- Students on study abroad programmes paying international tuition fees are eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Places are allocated on a first-come first-served basis. For more information contact email@example.com.
- Students who choose to take up the International Accommodation Award but then decide to move into private accommodation elsewhere must notify the accommodation office and return their key. At this point they will no longer have access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students who initially move into one accommodation building, but later decide to move to a different University-managed building, will have free accommodation or £2,000 discount applied to the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate).
- Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
- Please note that there are many international students who choose to live in Cwrt Mawr. Students who choose this accommodation building, will likely be living with other international students from a mixture of countries all over the globe.
*Students must meet the terms and conditions to be eligible for the offer.